Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lest We Forget...

It's back to the pointless little posts for a while, as I am writing for four different sites and trying to get through some of the work provided by my classes over the next two weeks. That being said, I heard something on Rome is Burning that compelled me to write this post. Sigh, I hate myself for writing this...but...okay.

The point of contention I have came from a comment during The Forum section of the show, in regards to Carmello Anthony and his DUI arrest. One of the talking heads on the show began to berate Anthony (who deserves a bit of what's coming to him, but he shouldn't be completley villified), implying that he can never truly be a super star because, as he put it, "Magic, MJ, Bird, these guys never got into trouble like this." (The last part might have been paraphrased as I'm going off memory alone, but he did compare Anthony to the three players mentioned.)

At this point, I am hating myself for writing this, but it merits mentioning: Didn't Magic Johnson become HIV Positive thanks to some off-court exploits. I am not trying to throw dirt on Magic, but when Carmello faces questions of his commitment to basketball based on one immature mistake, you probably should not compare him poorly to someone forced to retire prematurely based on a series of mistakes.

Oh, and lest we forget Michael Jordan's gambling problems. The consequences of this addiction range from the obvious--he lost a lot of money, to the sensational hoax--unpaid gambling debts resulted in his father's murder. With the intriguing possibility of a secret, eighteen month suspension from the NBA (hence, the foray into baseball), in between.

Now, I do not want to come across like I condone Anthony's actions. Trust me, very few things have the ability to exceed the stupidity of drunk driving. And his stick-and-move routine at Madison Square Garden last season does nothing to enhance his resume. But to isolate Anthony, simply because he is an easy target, seems unfair.

No comments: