Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Philosophy on Philosophy

I've just recently been paying for a grave mistake I made over Christmas Break. I scheduled an Intro to Philosophy class for the last eight weeks of the semester. At the time it seemed like a grand idea: It fit my schedule perfectly. But now, I realize that I have severely underestimated just how boring the class is. To make matters worse, the fact that it's an eight week course means that I go four days a week in order to get a sufficient amount of credits.

I realize that most lecture classes have a pretty simple format: Important guy talks, impressionable minds write notes. But Philosophy really tweaks the formula quite a bit. Whereas in other classes the professor talks, Philosophy profs talk and talk and talk and talk. Likewise, while students generally write notes, Philosophy students write and write and write a ridiculous amount of notes. Somehow, in this orgy of note-taking, I am able to write down the information while daydreaming about something else. Just recently, I spent an entire class period living Philosophy, because I passed the hour by pondering what exactly it is a person with a philospher degree does.

When someone decides that Philosophy is the major that they must pursue and he or she graduates, what happens next. The only thing I could think a Philosophy degree would lead to is a teaching job--in Philosophy! Is their some sort of conspiracy? Have an underground society that worships Plato infiltrated colleges and created a disturbing cycle that creates no progress? Let's teach Philosophy so the pupils can teach Philosophy...the works of Plato can not die!

Either a philosopher teaches Philosophy or he sits around all day pondering the complexities of his life: "I live in my parents' basement, therefore, I am." I honestly can't think of anything else that a Philosophy degree could help you pursue. Have you ever heard of a philosophy firm? Me either.

Update: Evidently you can get jobs as a consultant with a corporation or law firm, or you could pursue higher education, like law school. Not only does this knowledge make this post not as funny anymore, but it also points out how much of a dumbass I am.

No comments: