Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Trouble Brewing

Driving home from IU this past Thursday, I came across a peculiar sight. About 25 miles south of Bloomington lies Bedford. I bring Bedford up, because as you probably do not know, this small town is considered the limestone capital of the world. Indeed, while traveling on the highway, drivers find themselves moving past rocky embankments (complete with "Beware of Falling Rock" signs) in disturbingly close proximity to the road.

On this particular afternoon, I happened upon a sight that perplexed me at first, ultimately making me laugh outloud a few moments later. As I mentioned, the embankments on the side of the road are complete with warnings of falling rock. Driving through one of these rocky areas, I noticed a couple of families who committed two potential mistakes.

First, they parked on the side of the interstate not because of an emergency, but because they needed access to the rock for recreation--always a recipe for disaster. However, the second boner pulled by these geniuses provided the comic relief that kept me entertained on the ride home. These people were actually using picks to chip away at the base of the embankment. I haven't yet mentioned that the this chiseled out cliff, which again warns of FALLING ROCK, has a base that juts in an almost exaggerated fashion. Now let's see, I think the whole situation resembles a math problem: Two Familes X A Case of Obliviousness + Falling Rock = Tragedy.

I just wish I had a camera with me, because I swear to you that I would have turned around and snapped a polaroid of these folks in action. What would I do with that picture? I would label it with the caption "Trouble Brewing," a la the recurring comics in Gary Larson's classic strip The Far Side.

If this doesn't provide a sense of hilarity, here is an example of one of these "Trouble Brewing" comics from The Far Side:



No comments: